If you have done the Family Finder test with Family Tree DNA and are wondering which files you need from there to import into Genome Mate Pro, this post will help you. There are two ways to get the files needed, the first is directly from Family Tree DNA; the second is to download via DNAGedcom.
From Family Tree DNA
This first method obtains the files that you will import through the Genome Mate Pro templates activated by this option.
- Log in to your account
- Click on Matches
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the CSV button. Save this file in a safe place, do not change the name or file format.
- Back to the Family Tree DNA home page again, this time click on Chromosome Browser
- The Compare List should remain blank.
Click on “Download All Matches to Excel (CSV Format)”. Save this file in a safe place, and again, do not change the file name or format.
- Log in to your DNAGedcom account and go to the Family Tree DNA download page
- Put your Family Tree DNA kit number and password in, and click “Get Data”. You will see something like the following as DNAGedcom downloads and collates the data.
- Wait until the page resets to this view and then refresh the browser page.
- Click on “Download”
- Save the resulting Zip file somewhere safe.
- You must unzip the downloaded file to be able to import them into Genome Mate Pro, so unzip (or extract) the three files and save them somewhere safe, but do not change their name or file type.
Note: You only need to follow one of these methods, and it is recommended to pick one and stick with it. Duplicates can occur if you use both methods.
Very Important: You must import each file in order or you will not see anything on the Chromosome tab. Import number 1 first, then import number 2, and then if applicable, number 3. If after importing number 2 you still see nothing on the Chromosome tab, then you may have an issue that the Facebook Group may be able to help you with..